Know About Pros and Cons of Invisalign Braces
March 13, 2023
If you want a pearly white perfectly straight smile, Invisalign can be your go-to option. Many people have this embarrassing issue of crooked or crowded teeth necessitating an orthodontic treatment. And one of the most obvious treatments is to get braces. However, with more and more teens and adults getting their ortho treatment done, the options have also broadened. Invisalign is one such option. Invisalign braces are a set of plastic or clear aligners that are designed to straighten your teeth. And has become a popular choice over the past couple of decades. However, like all other things, you will find both pros and cons to using Invisalign. That’s why it’s important to consider such pointers and discuss them with your dentist.
Pros of Invisalign
If you had a choice between metallic braces and Invisalign, which one would you pick?
Metal braces or clear retainers? If your answer is Invisalign, then you’re not alone. There are numerous reasons for choosing Invisalign over traditional dental braces. Below we have discussed the same in brief.
- Comfort wearing: Invisalign is much more comfortable to wear in comparison to other options. One can not get used to braces overnight. With these braces on your teeth, you may feel some discomfort as these may cause painful nicks and cuts in your mouth. Other Hands, aligners are devoid of any kind of sharp edges, and you can wear them in a hassle-free way.
- More attractive: The benefit for which it is well known is there in its name itself. Invisalign is a great alternative for those who don’t like the ‘metal mouth’ look. You will get an aesthetically pleasing smile with Invisalign. Moreover, you will not feel overly self-conscious while smiling. This is why many younger as well as older adults choose Invisalign.
- Easy maintenance: Brushing, flossing, and regular oral hygiene maintenance get really easy with Invisalign. Maintaining proper oral hygiene while putting your braces on can be difficult. The wires and brackets trap the food and make them prone to various gum diseases and tooth decay.
- No dietary restrictions: If you know someone who has braces, then you know the amount of dietary restrictions they need to follow. Those who have braces should avoid crunchy, hard, or sticky food items. However, if you use Invisalign, there is no need to worry before planning your platter. So that you can enjoy all your favorite food without any restrictions. You simply remove those retainers and eat whatever you like.
- Fewer appointments: Braces require a lot of supervision from the dentist’s part as well. Starting from changing wires, connecting springs, and bonding brackets to name a few.Most of these procedures can be time-consuming and can be eliminated with Invisalign. The average braces appointments are 20-30 mins whereas Invisalign takes only 10 mins. Aside from that, with Invisalign, you only need to see your dentist for a lesser number of appointments.
- Easily Removable: These aligners can be removed easily while you eat, brush, or floss. Though it’s not the same with your braces. Invisalign allows you to have your favorite food and practice better oral hygiene while you go through the teeth straightening procedure. With Invisalign on your teeth, you don’t have to worry about food particles getting stuck in between the braces.
Cons of Invisalign
Now you may ask if Invisalign is such an amazing experience, why does anyone go for braces?
Like every option, Invisalign may not be perfect for all kinds of orthodontic problems. Here we have mentioned the cons of getting your Invisalign.
- Long-hour wearing: One of the prime reasons why Invisalign might not be the best choice for everyone. As per our expert dentist Dr. Bajaj, you need to wear your braces(Invisalign) for at least 21 hours a day; that needs some discipline and self-motivation from the patient’s side. From our experience, we can say that some people forget to put their braces on regularly while others may misplace them altogether.
- Not for all: If you are a frequent snacker or sipper, then Invisalign is not for you. These aligners should be removed before you eat or drink anything. And it’s recommended to clean your teeth before you put them on. This is why you may find that Invisalign interrupts your daily routine if you enjoy sipping tea or coffee throughout the day.
- Not a one-stop solution: Though Invisalign is a good option for your malaligned teeth, it might not be best for all your tooth and bite problems. Certain orthodontics issues are best treated by braces. This is why consultation with an expert dentist for Invisalign braces is necessary before you opt for any kind of orthodontic treatment. They will examine, and evaluate your bite and make a treatment plan that is best for you.
- Speaking difficulties: Invisalign may cause difficulty to pronounce certain words. Speaking might feel a bit awkward at first. However, this will get resolved within a week or so. Our experts recommend training your tongue for the first few days by reading a book out loud while wearing those retainers.
In conclusion, Invisalign can be a great option for many people who want to straighten their teeth. Although, it’s crucial to understand the pros and cons and discuss your options with your dentist to determine whether Invisalign is right for you.